Community Plus+ Newsletter May 2020
Welcome to the first edition of our new look newsletter! You can look forward to receiving these on the first Saturday of the month – perfect for getting comfy and enjoying with a cuppa!
Read on to find out what we’ve been doing to support the community during COVID-19, and a little preview of what we’ll be doing in the coming month.
From all of the team,
Stay safe, stay connected.
Community Plus+ YOU = US!
A message from manager Mel
It is an understatement to say that the past 6 weeks have been extraordinary. Like many others, we had to temporarily close our Open House programs to keep community, staff and volunteers safe.
It’s been difficult not to welcome you in person, but while heeding social distancing rules to protect Queenslanders from the pandemic, we’ve been adapting and learning new ways to maintain that same connectedness and community spirit Community Plus+ represents. We adjusted quickly to deliver most services remotely; our service reception, intake, incoming calls for information & referral and tenancy advice continue to operate normally across all our teams.
We’re so proud of the resilience, generosity and warmth of our community, who have come together in so many wonderful ways during this time. Our Yeronga Community Kitchen meals and our WECH Community Pantry are both great examples of our local communities’ resilience in action – with support of our community, we’ve been able to safely provide daily food relief to vulnerable members of our community.
Speaking of resilience, now more than ever, it’s important to be as compassionate to yourself as you are to your family and friends. Remember to be mindful of your own wellbeing to seek support when needed.
Similarly, where we see those around us struggling, we can reach out in ways that make a difference.
Thank you! We can’t wait to see you again!
All hands on deck!
It’s been a busy month at Community Plus+!
- WECH’s addition of a community pantry, and a new fridge at YCC was welcomed by all. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated to our community pantries! We always need donations – you can find out what donations we’re looking for on our website.
- Yeronga Community Kitchen has been pumping out lots of delicious food using generous donations from Feed Appeal, OzHarvest and Foodbank. The tasty creations have been shared and enjoyed by all our communities and we’ve been delivering them to people who can’t come themselves; local boarding houses, and others who cannot access our neighbourhood centres due to isolation.
- Our QSTARS Tenants Advice team supported over 1000 people with COVID-19 related issues to date.
- We letter box dropped an incredible 1650 check-in packs across Yeronga, Annerley and Rocklea for this year’s Neighbours Day! In the appropriate PPE of course!
Is it May already?!
- Switch off Masterchef – we’ve got Melinda’s recipes coming direct to you from the Yeronga Community Kitchen! Look out for some Food with Thought favourites coming to our website, and a little something extra special we’re cooking up for you!
- Did you know we’re a network partner with the Australian Government’s Be Connected program? We’re sharing topics from the program on our Facebook page each week. Please get in touch if you need any support with access to technology.
Our Facebook community is coming together!
We’ve introduced some new fun things to Socials this month, including Digital Poetry Club and Friday Film night quiz – thank you for getting involved with our posts and keeping the community together by engaging with us online while we’re physically apart.
As a community, our increased online activity has highlighted our need to focus on you more directly, celebrate our extended community, provide you with all the information you need from one place and make it easier for you to connect with us. That’s why we will shortly be merging the three separate accounts into one Community Plus+ account.
Our whole community; Annerley, West End and Yeronga will come together under one big Community Plus+ Facebook roof!
After all – Community Plus+ YOU = US!
Until we announce more, follow us on Facebook for the next poetry prompts, coming this Monday!